Our History

Hamilton Shipping began life in Northern Ireland in 1919 as Alex M Hamilton & Co, named after the great uncle of Gordon Hamilton, the former owner and Managing Director.

Gordon was keen to establish the business across the whole of Ireland and invested significantly in broadening the range of shipping and cargo services the company offered its Irish and global customer base. Today, Hamilton Shipping operates from five sites in Belfast, Derry, Dublin, Cork and Shannon.

In 2012, Denholm Logistics acquired 100% share capital of Hamilton Shipping Holdings and its subsidiaries.

Denholm Logistics is part of the J. & J. Denholm group of companies, which can trace its origins back to 1866 when the first business, a ships agency, was founded by James Denholm.  James was joined by his younger brother John in 1869, when J. & J. Denholm was formed and the company is still controlled by John's descendants today. The group has since diversified and now has four main business streams: shipping, logistics, seafoods and industrial services.